Friday, April 17, 2009

Pork Chops with Leeks in Mustard Sauce


Last night I made this recipe, which is in this month's Bon Appetit, for Bill and I for dinner and it was amazing. It had the texture of having a lot more richness (meaning fat feel) than was really in the recipe. I think this is because the creme fraiche (I used Sour Cream) goes in at the last second so there's no opportunity for it to break down.

Instead of bacon I used pancetta and I added some white mushrooms to the sauce. I think next time I would cut the Sage by about a third, it was a little stronger than the other flavors. We had it with creamy instant polenta on the side and a nice mild (and inexpensive Merlot)

If you've never cooked with Leeks before, they are a great spring time treat. You'll want to trim the dark green tops off trim the roots and then cut them in half. Starting from what was the top run water through the inside. Leeks grow in sand and if you don't rinse them you'll end up with very gritty food. I usually rinse, cut and put them on a paper towel, or you can put them in a large bowl of water (after cutting them), agitate the water then let them rest and float to the top. Then put them in a salad spinner.

Try this recipe -- you'll love it!

Pork Chops with Leeks in Mustard Sauce

2 comments:

  1. I love pork chops but stopped cooking them because they always come out so dry. I am going to try this recipe cause the idea of leeks sounds like a yummy flavorful combo. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you'll like this sauce. I always use the bone in pork chops they come out better. I also think this sauce would work well with turkey. I've been thinking about this sauce a lot! LOL

    ReplyDelete